I Absolutly Hated the duck tape and cardboard sheath I made for the
band saw knife and after reading posts on the Hoodlums forum on the
subject, I decided I
would try and upgrade it with a soda bottle for sheath material (Thanx
I layed out all the things I THOUGHT I would need for this project. I
ended up needing a pair of scissors and another bottle...
I cut the sides to make two "flat" pieces (this was a real pain
throughout the process as the sides wanted, naturally, to curl back
into their original shape.
then cut out 4 bands of Craft Foam for spacers between the sides of the
sheath. I also cut two large bottom pieces to wedge in the bottom.. I
also folded and creased the top using pliers (this took two hands and
no amount of trying with my toes allowed use of the camera!) the fold
on both pieces was used to reinforce the aperture where the knife goes
I inserted the spacers in their appropriate places and used little
bands of duck tape to temporarily hold the sides togeather
I then stapled the sides together in lieu of rivets (I got this idea
from WWII K-Bar sheaths)
From here I added line to the
sheath to use it as a neck rig. I did this using the same twine I have
been using for my other projects and reenforced it with the reverse
twist method. I purposely made two different cords so that I could bind
them in the middle with duck tape. This keeps the wearer (me) from
getting strangled should it get caught...
finished the whole thing off with a later of black duck tape over both
sides and wrapped the sheath in twine for three reasons:
1) it looks cool
2) it adds weight to the sheath; the knife tended to upend itself as it
is handle heavy, this removed most of that problem
3) it gave me yards and yards of emergency cordage!
in all this is a very basic sheath that took about 3 hrs to make. be
sure to take safety precautions when working with edged tools, fire etc!